Monday, January 08, 2007

Thomas' Dermatologist Appointment Today

Thomas had a dermatologist appointment this morning for his eczema. The doctor said that we shouldn't dress Thomas up too warmly or bundle him up too much because this causes his skin to irritate. She said kids with eczema likes to wear cool, loose-fitting clothes and even likes to be naked. She said the reason that Thomas scratches himself so much is that we're dressing him to warm, which is one of the reasons that causes his rashes. Other factors are: the windy weather, dusts and pollens, being close to smoke or someone who smokes, and being close to pets. She recommended we use a humidifier to reduce the dust. Also, anyone who holds him should not be wearing wool material, or wear any perfume or scented lotions. I had given up my perfume ever since Thomas was born, so this is no problem for me!

Even though we don't have any pets, we live in a community where there's a lot of dogs outside...I wonder whether that has any affect on him. I will have to remember to ask the doctor this on our next visit, which is on Feb. 5. The doctor had given Thomas a prescription for a new ointment and she wanted a follow-up appointment. They had taken some pictures of his rashes today so that they can compare on our next appointment.

Seeing Thomas with eczema and scratching himself all the time hurts! I wish I can make it all go away! The doctor said some kids with eczema can carry it through adulthood. I hope this is not the case.

No comments: