Thursday, November 09, 2006

Sleepless Nights


I feel as if I'm not getting enough rest every day. No matter what I do, I can't get rid of the "I'm feeling so tired right now" feeling.

According to a survey of 500 moms, 54% say they don't get enough sleep. According to the survey, many moms are up late worrying about the next day's "to do" lists and things such as family finances.

Maybe that's the case for those women, but not for me. I'm staying up late trying to get a few precious moments of 'me time'. Thomas takes up most of my time during the day...he doesn't let me alone for even a few minutes. Is it so wrong of me to stay up a little later to do things that I want to do without him crying for me, and then complain that I don't get enough sleep?

Thomas will be 5 months next week, and yet he still hasn't slept through the night yet. He wakes up every 2-3 hours and wants to eat. I'd wake up, feed him, change his diapers, and he would then lay awake for at least 30-45 minutes before he'd fall back to sleep. I'd only turn on a small night light to feed him, and turn it off immediately after his feeding to help him fall back asleep easier, but he still doesn't.

Also, when he's sleeping, he doesn't sleep soundly. He'd be awaken by any noises, even really soft ones, such as cars driving by outside our house. During his sleep, he'd kick his legs, and move his arms. This always keeps me awake at night. I usually get my 'deep sleep' about at 4 in the morning; however, this has changed lately. Thomas has been waking up around this time, and he stays awake until around 7. The two of us would then go back to sleep, but I feel like I'd just closed my eyes when it's time for Tony to get ready for work at 7:30, which wakes Thomas and me up again.

I think I get about 2-3 hours of sleep every day. I'm hoping this will change soon. I can't wait until the day Thomas is able to sleep through the night. As for the 'me time' at night, I need this time to relax a little even if it lessens my sleep time. Actually this 'me time' helps me sleep a little better at night because it helps relaxes me.

No comments: